David Campbell was born in Washington (then Augusta) County, Virginia in 1753, and was a Captain in the Continental Army at King’s Mountain, 1780. About 1785 he moved from Virginia to what is now Knox County, Tennessee, and built a “Block House” or station, known as Campbell’s Station, a few miles from Knoxville. He enrolled as Captain in the State Militia, was commissioned Second Major in Knox County Regiment, October 4, 1796; again as Lt. Colonel Commandant, December 20, 1800 and was an able Indian fighter. He participated in the Franklin government and, after Tennessee was admitted to statehood, represented Knox County in the fourth and fifth General Assembly. He was a member of Tennessee Lodge #2. He died in Rhea County, 1812. He was the grandfather of Governor William B. Campbell.