Thomas Augustine Claiborne
Dr. Thomas A. Claiborne, was borne in Viginia about 1765, came to Nashville about 1800, married Sarah, daughter of Wm. T. Lewis, April 20, 1801, and built the first brick “office house” in Nashville, located at the corner of Market Street and the Square. He was prominent in the civic affairs of Nashville and the State; represented Davidson County in the General Assembly at Knoxville in 1803, in which year he is recorded as a member of Tennessee Lodge #2 at Knoxville, and doubtless received his Degrees in that Lodge. He was a relative of Major Thomas Claiborne, first Grand Master of Tennessee; also a brother of Wm. C. C. Claiborne, Congressman and later Territorial Governor of Mississippi. In 1807 Dr. Claiborne accompanied Dr. Bedford on his famous tour to New Orleans (via the Cumberland, Ohio and Mississippi) visiting with his brother Grovernor Claiborne in Mississippi enroute.